I have started making my holiday cards and gifts. The cards are made from cardboard, leftover paper, giftwrap, magazines, pressed flowers and leaves, catalogues, etc. Corrogated cardboard makes adorable cut out shapes. Okay I already had some glue leftover from before No Impact Week 1 (thank goodness) as well as other craft supplies, so I am stoked. For gift ideas: cover stuff with papier maché: I have these old tupperware, cracked ceramic and take out plastic dishes which I am covering with papier maché and then with a non toxic water-based varnish after doing a cool collage with leftover crepe paper or tissue papers from last years gifts that I got. I also plan on painting a few and varnishing pressed flowers onto them.
Other ideas that have come to me that I plan on trying out:
-glass yogurt cups make into votive candle holders (the tissue paper or pressed leaves with varnish thing looks cool)
- plastic bags can be crocheted, knitted ot woven into very cool looking bags. I’m going to give it a try.
- leftover bits of wool can be made into pom poms, crocheted into flowers, or woven into “crazy” type scarves. I’ll have pictures soon!
- I would LOVE to hook a rug with leftover clothes, made into strip. Braided rugs are gorgeous too, but that might not be ready in time for Christmas!
- hand knitted scarves and hats for friends – I get wool from all sorts of people wanting to get rid of a skein here, a skein there.
- shoe stores in my neighborhood are thrilled to give away the boxes. Sturdy ones covered in a cool holiday colored collage make a great gift box to put homemade goods into.
Hope this gives someone an idea they haven’t had yet, and if they’ve got some for me, please post!!